Is there an odd odor in your home when you fire up the heater for the first time this season? Here’s a simple solution:
- Open several windows to let in fresh air.
- Turn on the heater and its fan.
- Allow the heater to run for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heater but leave the fan running for another 20 minutes.
- Close the windows, and now you can use the thermostat as usual.
To prevent this issue in the future, run your heater for 5 minutes once a month, every month. This will address the problem of dust buildup on your heater, which tends to burn off when you start it up. By doing this monthly, you’ll gradually eliminate the dust, making the initial odor less intense.
This not only contributes to improved indoor air quality but also keeps your heating components well-lubricated and in good working condition to prevent future issues when you need to use the heater.